Learn to roll and Greenlandic skills weekend.
As we head into our sixth annual Ontario Greenland Camp we are excited to bring the event to Parry Sound and make use of a more diverse body of water, Georgian Bay! This years event will take place at Killbear provincial park. At Killbear we can still have a nice sheltered bay for those looking to learn their first roll, but also are able to find lumpier waters for students wanting to learn paddling and rolling with a stick in conditions. We have a great lineup of instructors again and lots of fun planned.
We have an entire camping area and beach organized for our weekend of rolling fun. You'll bring your own tent and food for the event so we are able to reduce the price and make OGC available to more rollers. On Saturday night we're providing a group fish fry dinner. We'll have campfires and guitars under the Georgian Bay Biosphere night sky.
- Paddling with a stick (How to travel with a Greenland Paddle)
- Beginner layback rolling (Completely new to rolling)
- Intermediate layback rolls (Still working on your first roll)
- Advanced layback rolls (Have a standard layback roll, time to work on crook of the elbow/behind the head/spine roll etc)
- Beginner forward finishing rolls (Reverse sweep, continuous storm)
- Advanced forward finishing rolls ( Storm roll, behind the head, sculling rolls)
- Advanced norsaq and hand rolls (Forward finishing and aft finishing)
- Beginner rolling in dynamic conditions (Introduction to using your roll in dynamic waters)
- Advanced rolling in dynamic conditions (Going out for a rip in wind and waves and rolling!)
- Harpoon throwing (We have targets. No Georgian Bay seals will be harmed and that is a promise)
- Greenlandic rope gymnastics
What is included?
- Camping at Killbear Provincial Park (Bring your tent and camping gear)
- A full weekend of expert instruction on rolling and traditional skills
- Friday night icebreaker - Sponsored by Ontario Sea Kayak Centre.
- Saturday night happy hour sponsored by The Complete Paddler
- Fish fry on Saturday night - (BYO sides)
- A tent and camping gear
- Meals for the weekend
- A kayak (rentals are available during booking. $40 for the weekend)
Icebreaker and Happy hour drinks.
This year we will be giving everyone two drinks tickets on Friday night for our OSKC sponsored icebreaker evening. A big thank you to The Complete Paddler for picking up the bar tab and sponsoring our happy hour on Saturday night. We will be serving a range of beers from the Lake of Bays brewing company. If you want to BYOB for the rest of the weekend that is fine. Please drink responsibly.
Early Arrivals Friday Morning
Build your own Greenland Paddle with Tom!
Tom Froese will be running two build your own paddle clinics on Friday before the weekend. We are limited to eight people for this, four builders in the morning and four in the afternoon. Tom can also run another paddle building workshop on Saturday morning during the event, let us know if you want this option.
$120 includes materials, tools, instruction and you have your own paddle ready for OGC on the weekend.
(This booking link is just for the paddle building)
Private instruction with James Manke
It is great to work with a range of Greenland style instructors. Looking to nail down your storm roll, forward finish hand roll or even want help getting your first roll, come out earlier and get some one on one time with James Manke. He will be taking 6 one-hour private clients on Friday. Contact us to register. $100 per session.
Still have questions about taking a kayak rolling lesson or rental kayaks for OGC Feel free to contact 705-771-9555.