Learn to roll and Greenlandic skills weekend.
OGC is a learn to roll and traditional paddling gathering "rolled" into one. Held at Killbear Provincial Park our decorated lineup of mentors will help you achieve anything from your first roll in a sea kayak to some of the advanced Greenland rolling techniques. Also at camp you will meet a likeminded awesome group of paddlers, throw harpoons, try Greenlandic rope gymnastics, build your own Greenland paddle and generally just have an awesome time. Our Greenland skills and rolling mentors come in all the way from B.C. and the US of A. Some even come from Parry Sound!
As we head into our seventh annual Ontario Greenland Camp we are excited to again host the event in Parry Sound and make use of our diverse body of water, Georgian Bay! This years event will take place at the stunning Killbear provincial park. At Killbear we can still have a nice sheltered bay for those looking to learn their first roll, but also are able to find lumpier waters for students wanting to learn paddling and rolling with a stick in conditions. We have a great lineup of instructors again and lots of fun planned.
We have an entire camping area and beach organized for our weekend of rolling fun. You'll bring your own tent and food for the event so we are able to reduce the price and make OGC available to more rollers. We'll have campfires roaring bring your guitar if you play and share a drink under the Georgian Bay Biosphere night sky.
The final mentors list for 2016 is still being finalized. We can tell you that you will have an excellent blend of our usual suspects intermingled with a few new faces!
- Paddling with a stick (How to travel with a Greenland Paddle)
- Beginner layback rolling (Completely new to rolling)
- Intermediate layback rolls (Still working on your first roll)
- Advanced layback rolls (Have a standard layback roll, time to work on crook of the elbow/behind the head/spine roll etc)
- Beginner forward finishing rolls (Reverse sweep, continuous storm)
- Advanced forward finishing rolls ( Storm roll, behind the head, sculling rolls)
- Advanced norsaq and hand rolls (Forward finishing and aft finishing)
- Beginner rolling in dynamic conditions (Introduction to using your roll in dynamic waters)
- Advanced rolling in dynamic conditions (Going out for a rip in wind and waves and rolling!)
- Harpoon throwing (We have targets. No Georgian Bay seals will be harmed and that is a promise)
- Greenlandic rope gymnastics
What is included?
- Camping at Killbear Provincial Park (Bring your tent and camping gear)
- A full weekend of expert instruction on rolling and traditional skills
- Saturday night happy hour sponsored by The Complete Paddler
- A tent and camping gear
- Meals for the weekend
- A kayak (rentals are available during booking. $50 for the weekend)
Early Arrivals Friday Morning
Date: Friday 9th during the day.
Build your own Greenland Paddle with Tom!
Tom Froese will be running two build your own paddle clinics on Friday before the weekend. We are limited to six people for this, three builders in the morning and three in the afternoon. Tom can also run another paddle building workshop on Saturday morning during the event, let us know if you want this option.
$120 includes materials, tools, instruction and you have your own paddle ready for OGC on the weekend.
(This booking link is just for the paddle building)
Ontario Greenland Camp 2016
Still have questions about taking a kayak rolling lesson or rental kayaks for OGC Feel free to contact 705-771-9555.