Alec and Sharon Bloyd-Peshkin are paddlesport coaches from the Chicago area known for their playful and accessible coaching style. They are the owners of Have Kayaks, Will Travel, a paddlesport coaching business that organizes trips and courses. Alec and Sharon are ACA Level 4 Sea Kayak Coaches and BCU Coach 2T, along with other ACA and BCU certifications in sea kayak, whitewater kayak, and canoe. They maintain a website and blog and have had their articles and photos published in Sea Kayaker, Adventure Kayak, and Ocean Paddler magazines.
Alec and Sharon are passionate about teaching Leadership and Risk Management. Highlights of this program are:
- examine risk-assessment models and create one that applies to us this weekend
- practice ways to improve self- and assisted rescues, including the cowboy, re-enter and roll, “hand of God,” scoop and multiple variations on the T-rescue
- explore strategies for preventing and responding to incidents that arise
- learn new ways to work on basic boat-handling techniques
- play with various ways to enter and exit a boat
- have fun!