Learn to roll and Greenlandic skills weekend.
OGC is a learn to roll and traditional paddling gathering "rolled" into one. Held at Killbear Provincial Park our decorated lineup of mentors will help you achieve anything from your first roll in a sea kayak to some of the advanced Greenland rolling techniques. This is Canada's longest running traditional paddling event and we are now into our eighth year! Also at camp you will meet a likeminded awesome group of paddlers, throw harpoons, try Greenlandic rope gymnastics, build your own Greenland paddle and generally just have an awesome time. Our Greenland skills and rolling mentors come in from far and wide for this event. This year three of our mentors are medal winners from the Greenland national kayak championships, and all are fantastic instructors and ready to help you progress.
As we head into our eighth annual Ontario Greenland Camp we are excited to again host the event at Killbear right at the mouth of Parry Sound and to make use of our diverse body of water, Georgian Bay! This years event will take place at the stunning Killbear provincial park. At Killbear we can still have a nice sheltered bay for those looking to learn their first roll, but also are able to find lumpier waters for students wanting to learn paddling and rolling with a stick in conditions. We have a great lineup of instructors again and lots of fun planned.
We have an entire camping area and beach organized for our weekend of rolling fun. You'll bring your own tent and food for the event so we are to offer the event for an awesome price and to make it available to more rollers. We'll have campfires roaring bring your guitar if you play and share a drink under the Georgian Bay Biosphere reserve night sky. It's the best summer season ender to go out on a high.
check back soon as we are still adding new mentors.
- Paddling with a stick (How to travel with a Greenland Paddle)
- Beginner layback rolling (Completely new to rolling)
- Intermediate layback rolls (Still working on your first roll)
- Advanced layback rolls (Have a standard layback roll, time to work on crook of the elbow/behind the head/spine roll etc)
- Beginner forward finishing rolls (Reverse sweep, continuous storm)
- Advanced forward finishing rolls ( Storm roll, behind the head, sculling rolls)
- Advanced norsaq and hand rolls (Forward finishing and aft finishing)
- Beginner rolling in dynamic conditions (Introduction to using your roll in dynamic waters)
- Advanced rolling in dynamic conditions (Going out for a rip in wind and waves and rolling!)
- Harpoon throwing (We have targets. No Georgian Bay seals will be harmed and that is a promise)
- Greenlandic rope gymnastics
- Yoga for greenland paddlers
What is included?
- A full weekend of expert instruction on rolling and traditional skills
- Camping for two nights at Killbear Provincial Park
- A tent and camping gear
- Meals for the weekend and camp cooking equipment
- A kayak (rentals are available during booking $50 for the weekend)
Friday Build your own Greenland Paddle with Tom!
Tom Froese will be running two build your own paddle clinics on Friday before the weekend. (NO PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE REQUIRED!) We are limited to six people for this, three builders in the morning and three in the afternoon.
$130 includes materials, tools, instruction and you have your own paddle ready for OGC on the weekend. Make sure you contact us to choose AM or PM building slot subject to availability.
September 8th-10th 2017.
Still have questions about taking a kayak rolling lesson or rental kayaks for OGC Feel free to contact 705-771-9555.