Learn to roll and Greenlandic skills weekend.
OGC is a learn to roll and traditional paddling gathering "rolled" into one. Held at Killbear Provincial Park our decorated lineup of mentors will help you achieve anything from your first roll in a sea kayak to some of the advanced Greenland rolling techniques. Also at camp you will meet a likeminded awesome group of paddlers, throw harpoons, try Greenlandic rope gymnastics, build your own Greenland paddle and generally just have an awesome time. Our Greenland skills and rolling mentors come in all the way from B.C. and the US of A. Some even come from Parry Sound!
As we head into our seventh annual Ontario Greenland Camp we are excited to again host the event in Parry Sound and make use of our diverse body of water, Georgian Bay! This years event will take place at the stunning Killbear provincial park. At Killbear we can still have a nice sheltered bay for those looking to learn their first roll, but also are able to find lumpier waters for students wanting to learn paddling and rolling with a stick in conditions. We have a great lineup of instructors again and lots of fun planned.
We have an entire camping area and beach organized for our weekend of rolling fun. You'll bring your own tent and food for the event so we are able to reduce the price and make OGC available to more rollers. We'll have campfires roaring bring your guitar if you play and share a drink under the Georgian Bay Biosphere night sky.
Special guest: Greg Stamer
check back soon as we are still adding new mentors.
- Paddling with a stick (How to travel with a Greenland Paddle)
- Beginner layback rolling (Completely new to rolling)
- Intermediate layback rolls (Still working on your first roll)
- Advanced layback rolls (Have a standard layback roll, time to work on crook of the elbow/behind the head/spine roll etc)
- Beginner forward finishing rolls (Reverse sweep, continuous storm)
- Advanced forward finishing rolls ( Storm roll, behind the head, sculling rolls)
- Advanced norsaq and hand rolls (Forward finishing and aft finishing)
- Beginner rolling in dynamic conditions (Introduction to using your roll in dynamic waters)
- Advanced rolling in dynamic conditions (Going out for a rip in wind and waves and rolling!)
- Harpoon throwing (We have targets. No Georgian Bay seals will be harmed and that is a promise)
- Greenlandic rope gymnastics
- Yoga for greenland paddlers
What is included?
- A full weekend of expert instruction on rolling and traditional skills
- Camping for two nights at Killbear Provincial Park
- A tent and camping gear
- Meals for the weekend
- A kayak (rentals are available during booking $50 for the weekend)
Early Arrivals Friday Morning
Date: Friday 9th during the day.
Friday Build your own Greenland Paddle with Tom!
Tom Froese will be running two build your own paddle clinics on Friday before the weekend. (NO PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE REQUIRED!) We are limited to six people for this, three builders in the morning and three in the afternoon.
$120 includes materials, tools, instruction and you have your own paddle ready for OGC on the weekend.
(This booking link is just for the paddle building, you must attend the camp in order to particiate)
Ontario Greenland Camp 2016
Saturday Optional extra Build your own Greenland Paddle with Tom!
Tom Froese will be running this clinic Saturday morning. The extra cost is for the materials, tools and instruction.
Still have questions about taking a kayak rolling lesson or rental kayaks for OGC Feel free to contact 705-771-9555.