Ontario Greenland Camp will be back in 2020. We are offering two full days of Greenland skills at this year’s Paddlepalooza in Parry Sound May 31st – June 2nd.
OGC is a learn to roll and traditional paddling gathering “rolled” into one. Held at Killbear Provincial Park our decorated lineup of mentors will help you achieve anything from your first roll in a sea kayak to some of the advanced Greenland rolling techniques. Also at camp, you will meet a like-minded awesome group of paddlers, throw harpoons, try Greenlandic rope gymnastics, maybe even build your own Greenland paddle and generally just have an awesome time. Our Greenland skills and rolling mentors come in from far and wide to make this skill development camp what it is.
Ontario Greenland Camp started in 2010 and we are excited to again host the event in Parry Sound and make use of our diverse body of water, Georgian Bay! This years event will take place at the stunning Killbear Provincial Park. At Killbear we can have a nice sheltered bay for those looking to learn their first roll, but also are able to find lumpier waters for students wanting to learn to paddle and to roll with a stick in conditions. We have a great lineup of instructors again and lots of fun planned.
We have an entire camping area and beach organized for our weekend of rolling fun. You’ll bring your own tent/trailer and food for the event so we are able to reduce the price and make OGC affordable to more paddlers. We’ll have campfires roaring (if the fire ban gets canceled!) bring your guitar if you play and share a drink under the Georgian Bay Biosphere night sky.
NEW THIS YEAR:
This year we are going to have our own OGC Greenland Games on Sunday afternoon. We will be awarding prizes for a multitude of categories from first time rolls all the way up to OGC Greenland man and woman of the year.
- Paddling with a stick (How to travel with a Greenland Paddle)
- Beginner layback rolling (Completely new to rolling)
- Intermediate layback rolls (Still working on your first roll)
- Advanced layback rolls (Have a standard layback roll, time to work on crook of the elbow/behind the head/spine roll etc)
- Beginner forward finishing rolls (Reverse sweep, continuous storm)
- Advanced forward finishing rolls ( Storm roll, behind the head, sculling rolls)
- Advanced norsaq and hand rolls (Forward finishing and aft finishing)
- Beginner rolling in dynamic conditions (Introduction to using your roll in dynamic waters)
- Advanced rolling in dynamic conditions (Going out for a rip in wind and waves and rolling!)
- Harpoon throwing (We have targets. No Georgian Bay seals will be harmed and that is a promise)
- Greenlandic rope gymnastics
- Yoga for greenland paddlers
Build a Greenland Paddle with Tom. Early arrival Friday 7th.
Friday Build your own Greenland Paddle with Tom! - Killbear Provincial Park
Tom Froese will be running two build your own paddle clinics on Friday before the weekend. (NO PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE REQUIRED!) We are limited to six people for this, three builders in the morning and three in the afternoon.
Date: Friday 7th during the day.
Cost: $130 includes materials, tools, instruction and you have your own paddle ready for OGC on the weekend.
(This booking link is just for the paddle building, you must attend the camp in order to participate)
Ontario Greenland Camp Sept 8th-9th
Weekend Camp - Killbear Provincial Park
Drive your Car
Drive to Killbear Provincial Park: 35 Killbear Park Road, Nobel, ON, P0G 1G0
Nearest International Airport
Rent a Car
Pre and Post-Event Accommodation
Need accommodation near Killbear Provincial Park before or after the event? Check out our sister company Harmony Outdoor Inn in Parry Sound for luxury B&B and Glamping tent accommodation.